Monday, November 8, 2010

A Day For Cooking

This cool autumn morning has me thinking of my Grandma and how she loved to cook. I remember her always in the kitchen and that she never had her apron on without her pearls!
Everything she did was lovely and beautiful and everything she made was absolutely scrumptious!

Thinking of her has made me miss her and my tummy homesick for her cooking...and so, without further ado, I am going to make My Grandma's Apple Pie!..out with the rolling pin and apples and on with the pearls and the "Cutest Apron Ever"!




You can find Your Very Own Perfect Apron at... 
The Best Kitchen Shop Ever! 
The Kitchen Sync                                                     http://thekitchensync.com/
 

My Grandma's Apple Pie
   Crust 
2 sticks of butter 
2cups of flour 
3 tbsp brown sugar 
bit of salt 
1/4 teaspoon baking powder 
4 tablespoon ice cold water with 1 tbsp. vanilla

Stir flour, salt and baking powder together cut in chilled butter with fork or pastry blender until crumby, (I use the food processor). Add the vanilla ice water mixture one tablespoon at a time, stirring with fork until dough sticks together but not really wet.
Make two balls and chill for a while before rolling it out.

   Filling
10 apples sliced thin
1 1/2 cups of brown sugar (a little less if apples are really sweet) Honey Crisps...if you can find them are wonderful!
2/3 cup water minus 1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons of flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of Brandy
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix the brown sugar and water in saucepan add lemon juice and apples. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until apples are starting to get tender. Using a slotted spoon, put apples into a bowl and set aside. Add flour and granulated sugar to saucepan, stir and cook until it thickens...then add butter, salt, vanilla, brandy, apples and cinnamon. Cool a bit, add to rolled out bottom crust in pie dish.
Roll out the top crust and place over apples, cut vent slits. Brush with beaten egg white  decorate with leaves cut from left over dough and sprinkle it with raw sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 35 to 45 minutes
or until crust is perfect. If browning too fast reduce heat to 375 degrees and cover edges with foil.

My Grandfather loved his pie with a huge slice of sharp cheddar cheese...I prefer mine with vanilla whipping cream.
I promise that you will want to lick your plate!


My Beautiful "Incanto" Dinnerware by Vietri at...    
The Kitchen Sync

Does Your tummy ever get homesick?
Is there a recipe that makes You think of someone You love?...or maybe You just might want to try...
My Grandma's Apple Pie!

Happy Cooking Day To You!







1 comment:

  1. Your apple pie is still the VERY best I have ever had. I wish I was sitting in your kitchen today. I'll have to try the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete